Thunderstorm Safety Tips
Severe thunderstorms can be dangerous and even life threatening. Being prepared beforehand can keep you safe and secure during a thunderstorm. Here are some safety tips that you can do before, during, and after the thunderstorm.
- Keep an up to date medical kit within your home in an accessible area.
- Keep multiple flashlights with extra batteries, you don't know if you could lose power.
- Be stocked up on extra food and water
- If anyone in your family takes a special type of medicine, keep an extra stock with your medical kit.
- Check the weather forecast and be up to date on the storm around your area.
- Take shelter in a safe and sturdy area and stay inside.
- Turn off your air conditioning and anything else that uses a large amount of power
- If flash flooding occurs, get to the highest ground possible.
- Check around your home to see if you have any damages to your structure or property.
- Avoid any downed power lines.
- Be neighborly! Check in on your neighbors, especially anyone who is elderly or requires special assistance.
- Continue to monitor the storm and watch its path.